Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Item 23: Wrap-Up/Reflections

I didn't really have a "favorite discovery" or "exercise" in the Discovery 2.0, at least not as it relates to a particular tool or feature. I think the thing that sticks out the most are the great variety of tools "out there" and available that many people are using (whether I find them worth while or not!)

I think initially, excited about completing this program. Toward the end, after 'one more' exercise for a tool that I find no personal use from, it became more tediuos. Which is really strange, becuase I usually am very keen on using and learning new things. I don't think this program has necessarily affected my lifelong learning goals, with the exception that in the future, I will likely not try to do so much at once. Even with a 4 month time period to finish this (and it was mostly finished in a 2 month time period), it felt like a lot in a little amount of time.

One of the unexpected outcomes from this program that surprised me was that I reconnected with some of the tools I'd come across in the past and picked them up again. And, with others, I let them lie! One of the tools I began using again, was Pandora.com, the only music genome project.

If I was to suggest something to do differently for this program’s format would be to offer fewer hyperlinks explaining a topic. I think some people (not me) felt that all had to be read... rather than some. I tended to only read those that I was unfamiliar with, and after I read one hyperlink for a particular topic, I didn't read more unless I didn't feel like I totally understood the topic. Most of these were not new ideas to me (at least not conceptually) and I had a good grasp with many of the concepts to start with.

Overall, though this post tends to have a slightly negative bent, I think it was a good experience.

No comments: