Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Item 22: Alternative Blogging

Initially, my impression of microbloggin was "does anyone really need this?" Personally, I think I can live without them. I don't think anyone really needs to see what I'm doing "right now"... if I'm taking the time to type something, really my "what I'm doing right now" would always be "typing on my computer on Twttr" (or other microblog).

I have seen Twitter in use (but didn't make my own account) and checked out Tumblr as well.

Trying to think outside the box, I'm trying to see other uses for this type of blogging. I think, like the list in David Lee King's blog about 10 ways to use it is forseeable -- if you have family & friends that you're IM'ing, emailing, or blogging with anyways, this might be a nice alternate option. Also, maybe if you were in networks that had a purpose (maybe there could be a librarians Twitter that posted quick Q & A's that people didn't need to research, but worked more as a have you heard of, or does this plot sound familiar? You know, for the patron who says "I'm trying to find a book I read 20 years ago -- it's got a picture of a horse and two kids on the front. I think it was a yellow book, and it was about growing up with horses" (or some such vague reference question... or hey, maybe reader's advisory for a topic you're not superfamiliar with and maybe you don't have access to any ready reference materials...

Overall, for me, it's just one more way to be over-communicated (like over-medicated).... a bit too much of a good thing.

No comments: