Thursday, March 27, 2008

Item 17: Cool Stuff

So, I entered my blog URL into the The Blog Readability Test and I just found out that the reading level of my blog is "high school reading level." Hmmm... Interesting. Not sure how useful that is to most people, but, interesting.

I attempted to register for a login for Scrabulous but never got the reply email that contained my password.

Moving on (actaully, while waiting for the password) I went to Yahoo.answers, set up a profile, and got hooked. I think it's the librarian in me... I'd find a question and just wanted to answer it! I started off easy, answering a survey type question (how many pets to I have) for a student who needed to ask the question of 20 people and graph the responses... I moved on to another question about a high school student who was interested in becoming a pharmacist, wanted to know about the employment forcast, potential income, and courses she should focus on. My most difficult question was from a parent who was trying to help their child do research on a paper. Supposedly, Henry Wadsworth Longfellow had made some contributions to the field of mathmatics and the daughter was supposed to write two pages on it. After researching the topic on our online databases (biography databases) as well as googling some terms, I began to wonder if the daughter misinterpreted the assignment! I posted what I found (only confirming that IF it was true, there wasn't anything listed in the several biographies I came across)... I questioned whether it was not the poet, but maybe another Longfellow....

Overall, the Yahoo answers was fun (from the perspective of a librarian) but when I was scrolling through the homework help, I got the feeeling that a lot of kids were using it to get out of doing their own reserach!

No comments: